Monday, January 18, 2010

The Power of Parenting: Part 2

**Please make sure to read The Power of Parenting: Part 1 (Disclaimer) before cautiously proceeding to this section**


The Power of Parenting refers not to holding power over a child but rather the special ability we have to "influence" our children (good or bad) for the rest of their lives. The moment we become parents, God gives us the power and major responsibility of protecting and molding our child’s spirit. This God-given power grants us the ability to build-up or destroy, to point towards God or scoot within Satan’s reach, to cover in love or bruise with anger. Hands down, being a parent is the most important role we will ever play in our lives. It is a power to be handled delicately with care, to be honored and not taken for granted.

Considering the significance of parenting and the power we have to influence our children and their future, I truly believe that the most important gift we can ever give a child is personal knowledge of Jesus. How do we practically go about this? God shares the answer when He tells the Israelites,

“You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.” (Deuteronomy 6:5-9).

In order to help foster our children's personal knowlege of Jesus, we must ourselves first love the Lord with all of our being. We must cherish our own time alone with God and then we must commit to diligently teaching our children the truth of Christ. It is not to just be left up to their Sunday School teacher or the Children’s Pastor. Finally, we must make Jesus and his teachings a part of our daily lives and interaction, incorporating Him into all that we are doing and sharing with our children. We must dedicate our homes to boldly sharing the Good News.

If you're like me right now, you're thinking that this is all easier said than done. Does carrying the weight of your child’s relationship with Jesus seem like a heavy load? Absolutely, because it is! However, the best news yet is that God does not ask us to bear that burden on our own. In fact, it is in spite of ourselves and our own individual failings. For those who choose to dedicate their lives and children to Him, He’s given the power of His Holy Spirit. While our actions and influence certainly matters, ultimately our child's relationship with Christ is not by our works but by His.


This week, when you’re struggling to love all aspects of being a parent or are wondering how to guide your children in the ways of the Lord...stop…pray…listen…and remember, you’re not in it alone!

4 comments:

Joani said...

Sounds like a great series to me, I look forward to reading it. I always appreciate your advice and the fact you're only a phone call away...in fact, my choice to give my Gymbucks away was inspired by you telling me about only buying the clothes I love! Things like this (teaching Allison to love God) are on my heart a lot lately -especially since it is something I cannot control, I can only influence so I have to trust God and do my best and wait & see.

liz said...

I love this post and agree with your thoughts 100%. I wanted to add that as in all areas, we lead by example when it comes to our faith. If our children see that our relationship with the Lord brings us JOY, and indeed, that our lives are filled with joy, they won't hesitate to follow that pattern. Trying to control with strictness will only backfire, as I have observed in some families where an iron fist has driven the children away from faith. Looking forward to more of your parenting thoughts. Even though we joke that we're "veterans" now, we are constantly learning how to do this better!

Jack G. said...

Jodi—
I like this. Mel and I have never had kids, but what you've shared, so far, seems to fit w/ what I've observed w/ other parenting couples—some of them being quite "veteran."
I would add that besides living out your personal walk w/ Jesus, how you interact w/ your spouse will make a huge difference. as well. (You sort of alluded to this.) Second only to Jesus, the best gift parents can give their kids is the assurance that Dad and Mom love each other. Don't expect Ephesians 6:1 from your kids if you're not living out Eph. 5:18-33.

Jodiferkay said...

Thanks all! I totally agree with all the comments...Jack, you jumped the gun! My next post is actually about our spouses...I can't believe I'm agreeing with a Duck! ha, ha :)