Thursday, November 10, 2011

Future Action Hero

As I have briefly mentioned before, Yours Truly officially started P90X, an extreme form of torture...errrr...I mean exercise. Many of you have probably heard of this intensive 90 day workout program and some have likely even done it. I personally had been avoiding it because, well...I am a wimp. I am perfectly happy doing my elliptical and light weights at home where I can comfortably watch TV (most often The FoodNetwork. Counter intuitive I know but it keeps me occupied!). Recently I gave into peer pressure, having been convinced by my good friends Erin and Janelle (both of whom have done the program a couple of times in the past) that it would be "fun" to all do it at the same time and help encourage each other. I am now officially almost at the end of week 2 of the program (only 11 more weeks to go!) and here are a few things I've learned:


  1. I really am a wimp. OK, so I already knew that but let me tell you, six straight days of Yoga, Kenpo (basically kick-boxing), strength training, ab work, and plyometics kicks my can!

  2. I am as flexible as hardwood. This is a bit embarrassing to admit considering I used to do gymnastics and was a cheerleader but my flexible days are long gone. Have you seen the crazy, bending, twisted poses they have you do in yoga? Downward and Upward Dog, Spinal Twist, Crane, Royal Dancer, Tree...who thought of these names? My body just doesn't easily contort into those positions but thankfully I've seen improvement in even just the short time since I started.

  3. You shouldn't trust anyone or anything associated with word "extreme" in the title. Actually, you should believe them but should AVOID them.

  4. Did I mention I'm a wimp? Kenpo kicking and punching the way I do is about the same as watching Minnie Mouse. I like to pretend I am an action hero but truly am not intimidating in the slightest.

  5. When friends say an exercise program is "fun" and they will do it with you, they are just setting you up. So this is a slight exaggeration as I know Erin and Janelle do honestly intend to do P90X with me and have just had a few snafoos that have gotten in the way (i.e., bad colds, busy at work, selling a house). Thus far, this P90X "newbie" has been the one trying to hold them accountable and motivated. Time to get it in gear ladies!

  6. I am stubborn. I already knew that as well but in this case it may pay off. It's hard but I have no doubt that I am going to stick to it simply because I'm too stubborn (or proud?) to quit. This may come in extra handy considering #5 above.

All complaining aside, I am (mostly) enjoying this program. It's not easy but I have already seen improvement in both flexibility and strength. I'm motivated to keep going! Maybe by the end of the 90 days, I'll actually have the action hero moves down! Watch out Hollywood.

2 comments:

liz said...

Jodi -- I ordered this and am planning to do it after Christmas! I'm mostly worried I won't have enough energy to do the rest of my day after doing it. Are you exhausted? Kudos to you for pushing yourself though. I figure we're about the right age to get it in gear before things start to droop ;)

Jodiferkay said...

Liz, honestly I think you'll "like" it (as much as one can like a exercise program that is!). I've been fine energywise...just sore! I do think it will be worth it.