Sunday, October 9, 2011

Habits of Health

We have gotten quite a few questions about how we shed the lbs and what we have learned through the process so I thought I'd share a little more. Again, we started Take Shape for Life (TSFL) in June and had the opportunity to work with an experienced Health Coach that we have known personally since our college days. It really helped to have someone to share hints, encourage us and hold us accountable. I have also been reading a book written by the physician who founded TSFL called "Dr. A's Habits of Health" and would strongly recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about reaching and maintaining optimal health. Now, for just a few hints that we learned along the way (all habits we hope to maintain):

1) Drink a LOT of water - I'd always heard this but had never been good about it. Now I can't do without. Water helps to clean out your system and flushes the toxins (and fat!) out. Needless to say, we now make a lot of potty breaks when we travel as a family and it is not because of our Little Miss.

2) Eat every three hours - Another recommendation I'd heard but had never been good about. I was a 3 meal-a-day sort of girl but now recognize that eating small meals regularly better helps to maintain your blood sugar levels and your metabolism.

3) Focus on lower-glycemic foods - Dr. A does a good job in his book explaining how lower glycemic foods help to better maintain our blood sugar and insulin levels (and thus our metabolism).

4) Keep active - We have always enjoyed being active and even like to exercise for the most part. Now being at healthier weights, we enjoy it even more. Mr. Wagner headed back to the gym (for the first time since his college days) and Yours Truly made good use of our elliptical and light weights. I am now getting ready to start P90X with some good girlfriends (I've heard it is really hard core so this may be mild torture...I'll keep you posted!).

4) Do it together - I truly believe that our success was in large part due to the fact that Mr. Wagner and I had each other to encourage and help hold accountable. Even if you don't have a spouse needing to lose weight (or wanting to start a new exercise program or other healthy habit), find a friend to partner with (see point above where I am going to be torturing myself...errr...I mean...starting a new exercise program with friends).

5) Stick with it! - When the going gets tough, recognize that it will get easier! The longer you stick with your healthy change, the more it becomes a "habit" and the less you have to think about it.

No comments: