Every year during the holidays we do like many of you, make (and ingest) a significant number of Christmas goodies. I'm certain that Jesus wants us to enjoy his birthday after all which means it's just fine to enjoy the sweetness of the month. Plus, if you give a lot of treats away, you're sharing the calories...umm, I mean...love of the season.
Who doesn't enjoy family traditions of special treats during the holidays? In our family's history there are thumbprint cookies, snowballs, peanut butter balls, Santa's buttons, fudge, sugar cookies...the list goes on and on. I baked many of the above last year to give away to neighbors and co-workers. This year, I decided to simplify and stuck to two tasty holiday treats.
My favorite of all favorites are Chocolate Peppermint Bars. This recipe comes from Mr. Wagner's late Grandma Lola. I remember a friend's mom in high school making similar treats and was ecstatic to find out that they are a Wagner family tradition.
Oreo Cookie Truffles were a first for me this year but will be part of our ongoing family tradition. These are pretty, tasty, and even better...super easy! Happy baking!
Chocolate Peppermint Bars
Brownie Crust:
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
16 oz can of Hersey's syrup
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla
Frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tbs milk
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
green food coloring
Ganache topping:
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter
Mix together the brownie ingredients and bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes in a greased 9x13 pan. Allow to completely cool. Beat the frosting ingredients together, adding several drops of green food coloring to reach the desired light green color. Frost the cooled brownies. Melt together the chocolate chips and butter, stir until smooth, and then spread over the frosting layer.
Oreo Cookie Truffles
1 lbs of Oreo cookies
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 lbs white chocolate chips
Crush cookies until they are fine crumbs (I ground them using a food processor). Mix crumbs with cream cheese until well combined and a stiff dough forms. Roll into small balls and refrigerate or freeze until firm. Melt white chocolate chips over low heat or in the microwave. Dip Oreo balls into the chocolate and place on waxed paper to dry. These can be sprinkled with chocolate jimmies or melted milk chocolate for decoration.
What are YOUR favorite holiday recipes?
4 comments:
Those mint bars are my hubby's favorite. My favorites are the snowball or skillet cookies as grandma Lola called them.
Since you guys are coming to Bend. You need to save me a sample of all these cookies you are making. I have no desire to bake, but everything sounds so good. :)
Sam - Ummm...we so would have but I confess, they're already gone! We gave a lot away but also managed to eat WAY to much ourselves. :)
Oh bummer, maybe next year.
Post a Comment