Sunday, September 27, 2009
Sticking To It
I've had several people ask me what I think about the flu vaccines (both seasonal and H1N1). Having worked in healthcare and emergency preparedness for years, I'll be the first to admit that I'm biased. From a public health perspective, I am all for getting vaccinated and doing our small part to help protect ourselves and minimize the spread of disease. I remember being hospitalized as a child with the Russian flu and would like to avoid the same experience with my own child. At the same time, I appreciate that the choice should be personal and left up to individuals.
Please, make it a priority to take the time to review the facts and then do what you feel is right for you and your family. The West Coast Wagners have all been "stuck". Little Miss didn't even notice and was just excited about the Dora band-aid.
There you have it folks, that's my opinion and I'm "sticking" to it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I know my guys will get stuck like usual, but I'm still debating. I usually get so sick from the shot, it's almost the same as the full blown flue.
Mark & I are supposed to get 'stuck' Allison can't really yet so hopefully she'll make it through without the flu! The Pediatrician recommended Mark & I get it since keeping us healthy is more effective in protecting her anyhow!
You are right Joani, no flu vaccines for kiddos under 6 months so they recommend that careproviders be vaccinated (that is the recommendation for both seasonal and H1N1). I know the H1N1vaccine is more contraversal, have you decided? We are still doing research but are leaning towards getting Bekah vaccinated (since she was so premature and respiratory illnesses tend to hit her hard, not to mention that we'll be traveling during high flu season). Nate and I may have to wait because we don't officially fall into the "high risk" categories they are defining. Lots to consider!
Logan just got his first flu nose spray today. I guess he has to go back in a month for another one. Then a shot later for H1N1 when it's available. We're doing it because of everything Jon gets exposed to at work. He seems to end up with at least a couple of nasty bugs a year. I may end up not getting H1N1 since I'm not "high risk" either, but don't want to take any chances with Logan.
Post a Comment