Thursday, October 25, 2007

I admit it...I'm a health freak

Before you read on, I must make a disclaimer. I am a native Oregonian.

We all know that Oregonians are stereotyped as being liberal environmentalists who are health freaks. I don’t exactly have the liberal part down but our family is “environmentally aware” (Meaning that we feel strongly about recycling, reducing waste and caring for our environment. No, we don’t camp out in trees overnight to protect spotted owls). Health freak…well, not entirely (I have a sweet tooth and definitely have poundage to lose as a result)…but yes, I admit I have a slight obsession with healthy eating and healthy living. Isn't the first step to recovery admitting it?


I’d buy all organic, free-range, hormone and antibiotic free, grain-fed, all natural, 100% whole grains, no preservatives (etc., etc.) items if healthy food wasn’t so darned expensive. It’s frustrating that you have to pay MORE for foods processed LESS, is it not?

I make as much of our Little Miss' food as possible (obviously she must really like to eat since she seems to love my concoctions), try to make sure my family gets plenty of veggies (we still need to improve in that area), usually limit my meat consumption to one time/day or less, have been progressively decreasing the portion sizes of our meat and try to limit red meat to a couple times a month at the most (much to Hubby's dismay).
I’ve always been sort of a health-nut related to nutrition but most recently, I’ve even taken my obsession as far as to try buying environmentally friendly cleaners and all-natural, paraben and sodium lauryl sulfate free beauty products (with the exception of make-up. There are just some things a girl cannot, and should not, give up).

Who knows how long my health freakish obsession will last but for now, we’ll continue to increase our tofu and tempeh consumption (sorry Honey), shop more at the local Co-op, buy the

most highly-recommended organic foods …and be happy that we live in a state where even these changes still leave us feeling “mainstream”.

P.S. There are some things that humans just shouldn't try to live without. Notice the bib that says "I love chocolate" (thanks Mel!). Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants after all!






2 comments:

The Buckouts said...

I was just telling my sister this is the land of the granola people! The Corvallis community are majorly into the health food. I know it is not a sin to eat hormonal, perservative foods, bleached flour, winco fruit right??? (I say this laughing!he he) Maybe I will try it when I am not feeding four kids that are hungry every hour. The first time they saw Bekah eating fresh broccoli, they made some serious faces. You are training her up well Jodi! Have a great weekend!!

Jodiferkay said...

Don't worry JuRita, Nate calls the Co-op the "Freak Store" and my Dad likes to call me a "granola". We still buy a lot of our food at WinCo if nothing else, to save $! I'm sure when Bekah gets older, I'll have to try really hard to keep her eating her veggies!