
As I've been praying about this lately I've been realizing that going deeper and joining where God is at work requires not only trust in God but also great COURAGE. Courage to walk with Him every day. Courage to face whatever situations life may bring. Courage to share His grace and love with others no matter what. Courage to stand for the truth. Courage to not give up. When I think of people I know today that have great courage I immediately think of our dear friends Jack and Mel. Jack, while serving as a middle school youth pastor, was seriously injured in a boating accident in his mid-twenties and as a result, is considered to be quadriplegic. His wife Mel, also in her twenties at the time, didn't listen to the counsel of others to leave him and instead stayed true to her marriage vows "in sickness and in health". She has been with Jack through it all. Every day. Now, over 25 years later.
Today Jack and Mel regularly "throw down" with Jesus and are always available to join Him at work. They are an amazing TEAM. They help lead a grad/career group at their church, they disciple and continually pray for others (Mr. Wagner has been meeting regularly with Jack for years), they go wherever there is a need (Mel was with me when I was admitted to the hospital on multiple occasions when I was pregnant with the Little Miss, before Mr. Wagner could get there from work), they provide pre-marital counseling (including ours, Jack even married us) and continue to follow-up with couples they have worked with over the years. Jack and Mel are now like "adoptive" grandparents to our own daughter and her close friend Allison (they sure look young for being grandparents, wouldn't you agree?!). Through it all, they are both two of the most HUMBLE people I know (in fact, I am sure I am going to be in deep murky waters with Mel after she sees this post!). Courage. They have it. Throw down with Jesus and join Him at work? They DO it.
3 comments:
Oh boy, I can't wait to see Mel's comments! But I 100% agree with you!
No worries, Joani..I'm not in trouble. Mel is still talking to me (or at least e-mailing me!). :)
Your words are very gracious and also humbling. It's our pleasure to know and love you guys AND serve the same King you do.
Post a Comment