Friday, July 11, 2008

Simple Ways to Save

With gas prices hovering around $4.25/gallon in our area and the price of food and most other essentials rising at seemingly-out-of-control rates, our family has been trying to find more and more ways to save a few dollars wherever we can.


A few money-saving ideas that we've been incorporating lately:

  • Carpooling most days that both Mr. Wagner and I work, and on other days...

  • Mr. Wagner has been trying to ride his bike to work a couple times/week, combining the commute with exercise.

  • Eliminating "extended" cable several months ago. No more FoodNetwork, HGTV or TLC for me and no more History Channel for Hubby. It was a sad state around here at first but we've since adjusted well (though our movie rental fees have now increased which may be enough to justify a Netflix subscription soon).

  • Buying fewer organic items. This has been the most difficult change for me. I'm still convinced organic is a healthy lifestyle choice and will continue to purchase the most highly recommended items to buy organic whenver possible.

  • Decreasing my Dutch Bros. drive-by habit (speaking of "healthy"). I'm more of a green tea drinker now. There are still times at work that I crave coffee (and need the caffeine boost) so for the most part, I'm trying to stick to the free slime brewed at the office (with the addition of lots of flavored coffee-mate, it's not too bad).

  • Clipping more coupons and checking out Personal Finance and Simple Living ideas at sites like this.

These are just a few small steps that we've been taking. We could certainly do much more to be better stewards of His resources. In a way, I don't mind that gas prices are leading us to make choices that are better for our environment and I like thinking of ways to be more resourceful. I'm interested in knowing what others are doing as well.

How is today's economy affecting the way that your family spends money? Are you driving less? Traveling less? Eating out less? What, if anything, are you and your family doing to save more?


Photo courtesy of www.freefoto.com

1 comment:

Mel G. said...

Good website I discovered, Get Rich Slowly (getrichslowly.org) They have a lot of useful financial advice. You can sign up for their emails, which I get daily. A lot of info., but usually something good to be found most days.
Let's see, where have we cut back? Trying to run errands just one or two days a week, rather than every day. In this weather that isn't hard to do. You know how i just LOVE the heat! Keep up the good work!